Saturday, May 12, 2007

TONIGHT'S TOP 10 LIST



TOP 10 THINGS I LOVE ABOUT BEING A MOM

10. Being able to say “because I said so” with authority. You would think it would work with my employees too.

9. A good excuse for eating extra treats – someone has to finish that ice cream cone before it melts all over the mini van.

8. An easy out from awkward social situations, “I’d love to, but Diva’s ballet class, Little Frog’s therapy, need to be home to check the homework and read the bedtime stories….”

7. Checking homework and reading bedtime stories. The great feeling you and your child get when you explain a new concept so they understand and aren’t frustrated anymore. Getting to revisit your childhood friends – Good Night Moon, Winnie the Pooh, Laura Ingles Wilder, Where the Wild Things Are, Horton Hears a Who, Hop On Pop, The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Make Way for Ducklings, A Wrinkle in Time - all over again and experience them like the first time through your child’s eyes.

6. Playing – really playing like you did when you were a kid. I have Little Frog's Autism to thank for this also because play has become so important and I truly have license to let go and play.

5. Singing to and with a very forgiving audience.

4. watching them grow, mature, overcome developmental and social obstacles. I think I feel even more proud when they succeed (and sometimes just trying is success in and of itself) than when I succeed.

3. Perspective – being a mom shifts what I find important and/or necessary – and I like who I am all the better for it.

2. The Secret Mommy Handbook – I feel I understand my own mother much better now that I have passed the initiation. Now we can even share the secret handshake!

1. Unconditional Love – My love for my children is the closest I’ve come to experiencing unconditional love and I am in awe of its power.

Happy Mother's Day to Moms everywhere!

3 comments:

Mamaroo said...

I love the list! And a very Happy Mother's Day to you!!!!

#9 on your list I had to do yesterday with two ice cream cones. It's a hard job, but someone has to do it :)

Mom without a manual said...

Great list! I love getting to revisit my childhood as well and seeing these treasures through my son's eyes. You are right on!

Happy Mother's Day!

Frogs' mom said...

Diva is quite a reader. She is currently reading Baltow and Ella Enchanted at school, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and an Amerian Girls Mystery book at home, and we are reading Little Women together at bedtime. She will be like me - always with her nose in a book! Little frog is not as impressed with books yet, although it seems to be the closeness and social interaction that make it difficult - if I let him stay in his bag swing or on his rocking horse and I sit across the room to read, he stays tuned in. I've even caught him with the book we were reading, later in the day, looking through it himself. My earliest memories of Little Frog and Books was walking in on him looking at picture books, upside-down and backwards. When I would approach and ask him about his book he would (without looking at me) slam the book closed and leave the room. We've come a long ways.